12.21.2013

As most of you know we just went through a very scary time with our sweet Brody. I would rather just close the door and move forward without ever looking back at these 3 weeks but I know that I not want I am called to do. I need to share that the Lord showed our family another healing miracle and should his praises for all to hear. One evening when Brody was just over 3 weeks old I had just returned from running to the grocery and he was asleep in Scott's arms. I took him to feed him and right away I didn't like the way he looked. He felt warm, his coloring was off and he didn't want to feed. I grabbed the thermometer and he had a low grade fever. I kept trying to rouse him awake and get him to feed but he was cranky and just "off" seeming to me. I watched him for a few hours and about midnight his fever was higher and I just had my limit of mommy fear...I knew my gut was right and he needed to be seen. I took him to the ER and experienced something I never want to see again in my lifetime. They rushed him away calling a "code red" and a team of doctors surrounded him putting in IVs and oxegyn, drawing blood and starting antibiotics. The nurse caught me and got me into a chair as I was collapsing and screaming out...even just thinking about it to put the story in writing I am trembling. The doctor kept telling me because of his young age (under 30 days) it was protocol to assume the worst (meningitis) and take all precautions as quickly as possible. He kept telling me to remain calm and strong for Brody. As soon as he was all hooked up and the antibiotics were going they loaded us in an ambulance and transported us to the children's hospital.


Y'all know I am always homesick but this really put it all into perspective. I may miss my family and friends day to day but in a crisis...it is hard so very hard to function without their support. I was completely alone with Brody. Scott wasn't even able to be there because it was the middle of the night and we had no one to call to help with the kids. I do want to say that the nurses, doctors, EMT and all support at both hospitals were amazing. I had nurses loving on me while doctors were loving on Brody. I will forever be grateful for their support. And I know that Jesus put them in my path right when I need them most. I am also confident he himself never left me for a moment. I kept thinking of "Footprints in the sand" I could feel him carrying me.
 



The children's hospital got things rolling quickly and we found out that Brody had MSSA Bacterimia. Which is bacteria in his blood. He had to go through testing to make sure his heart and bones had not been effected. Praise the Lord they were all clear and healthy. He also had to have a spinal tap to make sure his brain had not been effected. Again Praise the Lord his fluid was completely clear and healthy. They kept telling me I "saved" him by getting him to the ER so quickly. Hearing those words would take my breath away every time but reading about his diagnosis I know what they were saying was true. My momma instincts might seem like what got me to the hospital so quickly but it was really Jesus guiding me, standing by my side, whispering in my ear. He protected Brody. He and he alone.

 
Watching my baby suffer through pokes, and IVs and having a PICC line placed were some of the worst helpless, painful moments I have ever experienced in my life. To watch him lay in a hospital suffering on his first Thanksgiving was torture. It was also very bittersweet. Because I have never been so Thankful on any Thanksgiving in all my life. Even though I spent it alone in a hospital with my sick newborn in a foreign country it was still so full of thanks. A full heart for witnessing another healing one year after the healing of my precious sister. I spent Thanksgiving day snuggling Brody Bug and singing "I know who goes before I know who stands behind..the God of Angel Armies...he is a friend of mine...whom shall I fear?" 




I have had lots of questions about how Brody contracted the bacteria...believe me when I say no one asked that question more than me. How could my precious healthy boy end up with bacteria in his blood? They never found an answer...they actually see this pretty frequently it seriousness depends on how early it is found. They believe in Brody's case most likely he got it through his circumcision. They have no one to prove that but since he was a healthy baby with no other cuts, infections etc. that would be the most likely scenario. I guess its a mute point now but looking back if I would have known I was making a choice for him that could cause him an illness I would have been asking a lot more questions and possibly making a different choice. But it's all in the past...I would advice any of you having a boy to ask lots of questions and be very careful during the healing process. I thought I was and he never got an infection...at least it never appeared that way outwardly.


I want to add a little note about my other babies during this time....they were A-Mazing! They loved on me, loved on Brody and spent hours and hours in a little tiny hospital room, coloring, reading books and watching movies. I am so proud of the way they rallied together as a family. I love them so much my heart could just burst.


 
I sadly didn't get a picture (I was a little busy...ha!) but Scott's mom, Terri, was the first person to fly in to our rescue. She came in and took the girls too and from school and took care of Bentley during the day. She also watched them some in the evening so Scott could come see Brody and I. I appreciate her coming in and loving on my babies so much. Knowing that my kiddos were safe and sound at home meant so much to me. I missed them like crazy, really I thought I was going to go nuts but she did a great job caring for them. Thank you so much Terri. We appreciate you.
 
 
The next two pics are enough to bring me to my knees and just weep tears of praise at the feet of the cross. My sweet sister Steph caught a flight from Oklahoma City and came and played mama to my family for a week. Truly, she did everything for my whole family! Scott was down and out sick and then there was a blizzard. She did all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, bed time, play time, EVERYTHING! She did an amazing job and even survived the horrendous weather and road conditions. Her flight leaving got cancelled, twice!! She was still a total trooper through it all. My sister coming and doing this for me would be amazing no matter what but it has so much more significance than the eye may see. This whole hospitalization took place during the one year anniversary of the car accident that almost took Steph's life. During the days she was here taking care of my family...last year these were the days I was in OKC helping take care of her with all my family. The fact that she is healed and here in my time of need. It is too much. Too much. When she first walked in the hospital room we just held each other and cried....then she said "We have to stop meeting in hospitals" So. true sista!!! Steph, I have no words to thank you for the week you were here. It is in my heart and I will carry it with me always. And bonus...I got a pic of you and Brody in the hospital together after all ;)

 
 
The day Steph flew out my mom flew in and Brody and I were released from the hospital. It was SO good to be home after 19 nights in the hospital. Having my mom here with me at that time...PRICELESS! Not only was it SO good for my mental and emotional well being and recovery but it was great to have help as I transitioned back to "normalcy" with the 4 kids. My mom and I were able to get the house back together, the cabinets back stocked with food, errands run, Christmas shopping done and wrapped, doctors appointments met, tackled the snow covered roads and parking lots (and won) I was able to take the girls to school each morning without getting the boys out. I was able to sit and have coffee each morning while visiting with my mom (aka one of my closest friends and most favorite person on this earth) she cooked dinners for me, swept and vacuumed, played countless games of hockey, the list goes on and on. The week she spent here was exactly what my heart needed and I will never be able to thank you enough for being her for me when I needed you mama! You are the best!!






 


I want to close this post by saying thank you. Thank you to each one of you for praying for Brody and I each and every day we were in the hospital. I felt so loved and so covered in prayer each and every moment. I will never know why the Lord chose to heal Brody and not some of the other children I encountered during our time in the Children's hospital. My heart is touched forever by all those I saw and met during our time. I ask each of you to hold your babies tight and take time to pray for all those mama's and babies that are still in the hospital during this holiday season. May they know they joy of Christ and feel his loving presence even on days that they suffer. I stand strong on the rock of the Lord's love and I so pray that each of you are able to do the same.
 
In Christ's Love,
Sarah
 
 
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged Deuteronomy 31:8